Wednesday 5 February 2014

Hanoi

Vietnam seems astonishingly up-to-date concerning communication technology. At least here in Hanoi, mobile data connection works perfectly (with a 550000 VND [1 Euro ~ 28000 Dong] SIM Card, 60 min international calls included). Therefore, you can expect picture updates in the Vietnam 2.0 Album at any time.
We went to the water puppet theater yesterday evening. If you ever come to Hanoi, skip that.
Concerning traffic: We saw a T-Shirt that describes usual behavior very good (although there are actually very few traffic lights at all). It shows a traffic light and indicates 'red' "I can walk", 'yellow' "I can walk" and 'red' "I can still walk". Also sounding the horn is very common and totally different in its meaning compared to home. A honking Viennese car driver might think "ARE YOU NUTS!?! GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY YOU STUPID BASTARD!" while a Vietnamese car driver or motorbike rider is usually more like "Hm I think I should blow the horn in order to warn those guys that I'm coming. Dim dudeli doo, hmm, hmm. Uh, thanks for giving way!"
Try Koto Restaurant at Hanoi (close to the Literature Temple) - charity mission and absolutely delicious meals!
Tomorrow we're going to enjoy Ha Long Bay and after that we'll trek around Sa Pa (northern region mountains). Sadly we cannot climb the highest mountain, Fansipan, because of fires in the forests. Anja and I somehow feel like having a déjà-vu.
Sadly we cannot climb the highest mountain, Fansipan, because of fires in the forests. Anja and I somehow feel like having a déjà-vu.
PS: Okay, you'll never get that joke without knowing that Anja and I weren't able to climb Thailand's highest mountain last year due to wildfires. I was so very sure I posted that...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor tourists, you could not make it climbing up the highest mountains in Vietnam and Thailand as well. Try the BIG Bell in Austria, that's a challenge. ;o)
      Reinecke

      Delete